GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Teetering in Tasmania

Go down 
+8
Oz1200Guzzi
wardentm
Clancy
bioman
Street
Pete Roper
kindoy2
Tricksteur
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Tricksteur
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Tricksteur

Teetering in Tasmania Empty
PostSubject: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2023 7:14 pm

Hello you GRiSO lot! I’m an older biker who’s just become aware of the GRiSO. I’m replacing a bmw r1100rs so I’d been looking at gear driven vfr’s, r1200rs beemers, even Ducati STs and super sports. I love the idea of character, really appreciate good handling, and something that I can keep and enjoy looking at in the garage when it rains…..which in Tasmania isn’t a rare event. The GRiSO ticks a lot of boxes, and it’s downsides don’t really bother me, small tank, more aggressive riding position etc.

I’ve found a 2013 grey and black GRiSO se. Only 7000kms on the clock and like new except for a couple of really minor marks. Bike has the rollorised heads according to the owner. He checks out and I’m just considering taking the plunge. Bike has had the first service, but nothing since as apparently the first service isn’t until 10k.

I live at the end of a 2k gravel road, so tips post purchase where to find longer mudguards huggers etc also welcome.

If I get the bike, I plan to have my local mechanic replace the fluids. Any other tips or suggestions would be warmly appreciated.

Tricky.

kindoy2 and tinker like this post

Back to top Go down
kindoy2
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kindoy2

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2023 7:51 pm

You'll get plenty of Excellent Tips quite soon from a very knowledgable Pete Roper here I am sure.About lubing the swing arm and shock bushing  etc, ( regardless of the low milage)  and getting yourself a Guzzi Diag and doing a proper tune up..AND NOT touching the Throttle body settings.  After you get the initial things done its a great bike.

You made a Great Choice!!!!

lcjohnny, Pawel Spoon and Yahu like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2023 8:17 pm

Welcome. Basically there are three major issues that need to be addressed with any 8V straight up.

First is rollerisation but if this bike is a 2013 then it will be a factory roller machine and you're good to go.

Second is the swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings which will need examining and greasing. As long as it hasn't done too many rainy trips or been parked out in the weather with such low mileage if these bearings are packed properly now they will last a long time. It's just the factory rarely, if ever, did it properly on assembly.

Thirdly, while not vital it is strongly advisable to drop the sump and spacer off the block to replace the gasket between the spacer and the block. Either with one of the thicker, aftermarket, gaskets or the gasket from a California 1400.

If you are getting someone else to do the servicing make absolutely sure they understand how to tune a W5AM Guzzi. The subject of tuning and balancing the throttlebodies has been covered many times here so read up and make sure he understands that you NEVER touch the throttle stop screws on the TB's or alter the length of the linkage rod by moving the rod in relation to the ball joints. The idle speed is hard coded into the ECU and is, to all intents and purposes, non adjustable. Some people think 1,250 rpm is 'Too High'. It isn't, it's the target idle and if you try to change it by moving the stop screws you loose the baseline settings for the entire map and once lost they are very difficult to re-establish.

The fueling and performance, (Although not power output.) can be greatly enhanced by remapping but do not be tempted by crappy add-ons like Power Commanders or sensor foolers which either won't do anything or risk serious overfuelling and damage to the engine. Likewise don't be tempted by crap like K&N filters, they will simply damage your throttlebodies and wear your engine out quicker.

A well mapped and tuned 8V makes *About* 100 rear wheel HP. This is dictated by the head and combustion chamber design along with camming. Anyone who promises you vast power or torque increases is a charlatan. Love the bike for what it is, not what it's not and never will be.

The best money you can spend after it's mapped and tuned properly will be on suspension, brakes and making it comfortable for you. GRiSO isn't for everyone but if the bug bites it tends to bite deep.

Enjoy.

lcjohnny, kindoy2 and tinker like this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Wed May 24, 2023 9:34 pm

That, in a nutshell, is the definitive credo every new GRiSO owner should receive with the title to their new or used bike! Thanks Pete!

Welcome to the Ghetto, Tricky, enjoy your GRiSO!

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Last edited by Street on Thu May 25, 2023 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

lcjohnny, Pawel Spoon and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2023 10:41 am

Congrats with your GRiSO, and welcome to the forum!

If I can add anything to the above, is that it pays off (financially & otherwise) to change the fluids yourself. It is extremely simple - and in case of any doubt or questions: just post your questions here and someone will give you an answer.
The GRiSO is a very easy bike to do basic maintenance on (oil&filter, brake/clutch fluids, air filter, valves).

And post some pics if you have time!
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Thu May 25, 2023 7:46 pm

For engine maps go to Beetle

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

...and to reiterate

Never touch the Sacred Screw
Back to top Go down
Tricksteur
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Tricksteur

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Fri May 26, 2023 12:07 am

Thanks you so much for your combined help and advice. Sadly for me, I missed out on the bike. Not to worry, having spent even more time researching the GRiSO, I’m more convinced than ever that it’s my next bike. Probably a 2v 1100 if one comes up. Anyone in Oz wanting to sell please let me know.

Otherwise I’ll keep my eye out on the websites and keep my fingers and toes crossed.
Back to top Go down
Tricksteur
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Tricksteur

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Fri May 26, 2023 12:18 am

bioman wrote:
Congrats with your GRiSO, and welcome to the forum!  

If I can add anything to the above, is that it pays off (financially & otherwise) to change the fluids yourself. It is extremely simple - and in case of any doubt or questions: just post your questions here and someone will give you an answer.
The GRiSO is a very easy bike to do basic maintenance on (oil&filter, brake/clutch fluids, air filter, valves).

And post some pics if you have time!  

Your message, together with the precious messages is one of the main reasons I’ve decided the GRiSO is for me. I currently do basic fluids, and on my r1100rs I also replaced all the fuel lines and filter inside the fuel tank. Doing your own “spannering” is a big advantage when you live in a fairly remote spot. Luckily there’s a really good mechanic in Launceston for trickier work. I’d recommend him to anyone.

I’ll keep lurking and hopefully soon will be a genuine GRiSO ghetto member!

Watch this space. T.
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:28 am

Hi Tricksteur
Keep lurking ……Warden TM from Ulverstone
Go well, stay safe
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:01 pm

Hi again Trickstuer
Just added you to the Tasmanian Ghetto ….
Welcome
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:33 pm

Trev,

Said 1100 GRiSO is visiting me this weekend, along with it's owner Phil. Also Mal and Andrew. Rodeo is on this weekend - good times...
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:10 pm

G’day Tony
Greetings from paradise ….Tasmania
Thanks for your message ….hope Phil is enjoying my x 1100 , hope it is still going well for him
Pass on my best wishes to Mal and Phil.
Go well, stay safe

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tricksteur
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Tricksteur

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:00 pm

After an adventure, i now have a white 2008 GRiSO 8v parked in the garage. Many thanks to Pete Roper for not only rollerising et al the bike, but going to view it for me first. What a legend.

Tricky.

Oz1200Guzzi, lcjohnny, Clancy, kidsmoke and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:01 pm

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:49 pm

Tricksteur wrote:
After an adventure, i now have a white 2008 GRiSO 8v parked in the garage.  Many thanks to Pete Roper for not only rollerising et al the bike, but going to view it for me first.  What a legend.

Tricky.

Well that's a hell of a way to recover! Nicely done. Welcome to the fray! Pete, your service to this community never ceases to amaze.

something about the Moon White GRiSO's.....Like a white wedding gown on a 40 year old bride....feel free to wear it, but we all know better. And tip o' my cap to the groom!

My Pearl....

Last edited by kidsmoke on Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:54 pm

Here's the bike outside my place the morning he set off for Tassie.

Black frame and headlight are, (Well applied.) wrap.

kidsmoke, kindoy2, Yahu and GGuzzi like this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:05 am

Tricksteur wrote:
After an adventure, i now have a white 2008 GRiSO 8v parked in the garage.  Many thanks to Pete Roper for not only rollerising et al the bike, but going to view it for me first.  What a legend.

Tricky.

Well done Tricksteur
It is well known that the white ones are faster
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:42 am

Hi Tricky
It will be great to see this beauty in TAS ….
Hope I see it go by some time
Go well, stay safe

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tricksteur
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Tricksteur

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:28 pm

I’m just at the far side of the sidling if you’re ever out this way! Any dry day and I’m keen!
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:12 pm

A couple of things you might want. I put barkbusters on my GRiSO and they really cut the cold. A set of heated grips or heated gloves. A small fairing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teetering in Tasmania   Teetering in Tasmania Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Teetering in Tasmania
Page 1 of 1